We have been informed that a swimmer was hit while swimming in Lake Cane by a pontoon boat. Although happily, the swimmer was not injured, the pontoon boat may still be in the ICU. The accident occurred around 5 pm, and the swimmer, a resident who lives on the lake, was not participating in Lucky’s Lake Swim. Notably, he was not wearing a safer swimmer buoy or cap. The boat captain said he never saw the swimmer but stopped the boat when he felt a thud. Moral of the story: if you are out doing wild swims on your own, wear a bright swim buoy and cap, or you might get eaten by a boat prop.
Tomorrow is national sea monkey day; please celebrate wisely and safely.
12 days left until the Golden Mile®
Saturday May 28th
Golden Mile® – Golden Mile® – Golden Mile®
- $1500.00 Cash prize for setting either overall male or female course record.
- Men’s Record – True Sweetser 17:12.63
- Women’s Record – Carlie Rose 18:19.61
- Real Gold medals for the overall winners (Double the gold content of an Olympic Gold)
- Real Silver medals for overall runner ups 16 oz of sterling silver
- Swimmer of the Ages -Age Handicapped division with real gold and silver medals.
- Age group medals first through third from 10 and under through 90+
- Survivor medallions for all that finish
- Golden Mile Backpacks for all swimmers, filled with all kinds of SWAG including: T-shirt, patches, bumper stickers, yo-yos, racing caps, and more great stuff.
- Huge pancake breakfast with all the fixings after the swim.
- First time swimmers get to sign Lucky’s Lake Swim Wall of Fame and get even more SWAG.
Not here May 28th? You can register and swim virtual Golden Mile® and still get all the SWAG and help the Lake Cane Restoration Society
Here’s how to do the virtual Golden Mile® in two different ways.
1.Swim the racecourse Friday at 5:30 pm you may use fins, pull buoy, wet suit etc. – you get all the SWAG and the survivor medallion, no timing or awards.
2. Swim a mile open water elsewhere or in a pool by May 28th and get all the SWAG except for the survivor medallion. You must let us know by May 29th that you have completed the swim.